Finding out that your aging parent has cancer is just the beginning of the challenges for both of you in this journey. Once your parent has received their diagnosis, it is time for them to make a decision regarding the type of treatment and management approach they want to use and then to get started on this part of the fight.
Getting started as soon as possible increases the chances of successful treatment. Going through this treatment can be very difficult for your parent, and the care and assistance that you give them as their family caregiver, and the support that you offer as their adult child, can help them to get through it in the best way possible.
Use these tips to help your senior with their cancer treatment:
• Show your love, respect, and encouragement by empowering your parent to make the decisions that are right for them and supporting them in every step of these decisions
• Create a care network of friends, family, neighbors, and elderly care providers that will surround your parent in care and support throughout this journey, and help ensure that all of their needs are met at all times
• Be there for them when they just need to talk and let them know that you care about what they are feeling and what they have to say about it
• Coordinate logistics of their care, such as transportation to and from appointments, well in advance to ease their mind and help them to feel secure in their treatment plan
• Seek out professional services such as support groups, therapists, and care providers that can support your care efforts and address elements of your parent’s care and management that you might not be able to handle on your own
How can elderly care help?
Starting elderly care can be one of the best decisions that you can make in the course of your caregiver journey with your senior. An elderly home care services provider can be with your parent on a fully customized schedule to ensure that they are getting the care, support, and assistance services that are right for their individual needs.
By evaluating their specific challenges and limitations and understanding their goals and preferences, this elderly care provider can give your parent a highly personalized set of services specifically designed to help them remain safe, healthy, comfortable, and happy, and to pursue the highest level of activity, engagement, independence, and fulfillment throughout their later years. As a family caregiver this can give you tremendous peace of mind knowing that both when you are able to be with your parent and when you are not, your senior is in the best hands.
If you or an aging loved one is considering hiring elderly care in Lorton, VA, contact the caring staff at Access Home Care Inc. Proudly Serving Northern Virginia and Surroundings for over 12 years. Call Us: (703) 765-9350
Latest posts by Anna Mensah-Nti, RN, BSN, Founder (see all)
- The Pros and Cons of Involving Your Children in Your Dad’s Care - August 27, 2019
- Five Possible Support Options for You - July 19, 2019
- Five Services that Make Aging in Place Easier - July 5, 2019